06-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #22
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
Well, I wouldn't put much stock in a video, first of all.

Secondly, it could come down to how, like I've stated, the ECU is controlling the valves and also possible the way the MY16 with a newer I-step is controlling the electronic wastegates too, particularly during a free rev. EWG's in the full open position will create lots of rasp as compared to a partially closed EWG.

There is a lot going on and a lot of variables. The MY15 and MY16 cars were very close in mileage and production dates. They sounded identical in person. I have no idea what I-step firmware they both had. If the MY15 is significantly older than the My16, there could be some real differences in the firmware.
I wouldn't put too much stock in two different videos, but the fact that Nick put that at the start of his video comparing the two meant that he and his fellow M3 owner heard the difference themselves, and you can hear it in the video.

So you're absolutely certain there's no way the internals of the exhaust could have changed without a different part number? Is that just not something they would or could ever do or is it possible?
Appreciate 0