09-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #366
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Swamp, Name one company in the world that is not concerned with maximizing profits and minimizing costs? Seriously, BMW is a lot more concerned with the shareholders and profits than the handful of enthusiasts on this web fourm. Do we want BMW to be the next GM??? I don't!!!

Due to shareholder relations and the new electronic world we live in, all publicly traded corporations must show the shareholder that his investment is being handled properly so that it will deliver a return in the future, it is the key to survival.

The key to doing this successfully for M is finding a balance between responsible spending in R&D, and production & manufacturing, yet still delivering a product that delivers a driving experience that is fitting of an M Car. We will have to wait and see if BMW has been able to find this balance with the new F8X M3/M4....... I am not totally convinced yet, but I am crossing my fingers and hoping!
Certainly these are the rules by which companies are run. My point is not that this is bad and I have stated that. It can however, lead to compromises that are not necessarily in the best interest of the educated/enthusiast consumer. This point of view simply allows us to better understand the sources for BMW decisions. Folks like to talk (and romanticize) about tradition, engineering, motorsport, etc. when in fact things are the way they are based primarily on the bean counters. It's not sexy, but it is fact. As I also pointed out in prior posts things are different at other companies. Audi, Porsche, Lamborghini, Ferrari, GM and Ford are all continuing to to build supercharged and normally aspirated sports cars. Those cars are developing more specific power, more absolute power and doing so at increasing redlines. They are even delivering improved fuel efficiency. Although I agree one should not make too direct of a comparison between Ferrari and BMW, the S65 is practically straight out of Maranello and that is why it is such a special engine. It represents the pinnacle of BMWs prior M engine concepts of relatively low displacement, high specific and high absolute power primarily through high redline. The last key component of M engines has been fantastic throttle response. This great trend has now halted and will almost for sure be reversing to some degree. As already discussed BWM M is abandoning tradition. I certainly agree 100% that it is an unanswered question as to what extent a lower redline and potential turbo lag will detract from the engine and the car.

Some of these other companies are making decisions less by the bean counter and more from a marketing/tradition/engineering/enthusiasts perspective. Sure they will be cutting costs as well, but they just are not as obsessed with cost as BMW.

Also, even though I just said it a few posts ago, I'll say it again, I strongly believe that IF the cars has no noticeable turbo lag, it will be a hell of an engine, a hell of a car and almost for sure a class leader as it always had been.

One beauty of engineering, a distinctly human endeavor, is that there is often so many alternate solutions for a problem which is not specified so strictly and precisely to only allow a single correct solution. Let's hope BMW M has a beautiful and elegant solution to the problem stated (mandated) by the bean counters!
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0