09-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #374
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I disagree, to most enthusiasts Lag is the revs at which the Turbo is capable of producing boost. Technically known as Boost threshold.
No backwards, first lag is the phenomena, not the revs (as you explicity state) and it is not the rev range when "boost" is produced but the phenomena when "boost" is not being produced but being requested.

Quote:
Lag technically is the delay between throttle application and power delivery when the engine is in the boost threshold region.
That's closer to what I said and mostly correct.

Quote:
The fact that the new M3 has at least 2 turbo's sequentially set up, and a very short plumbing through an water/air intercooler, to me means that it will be significantly better than a 335i in both boost threshold and Lag terms.
No one knows the exact quantity, arrangement, size nor much else about the new cars FI system. The biggest variable will be the presence or absence of some sort of electric turbo or other lag reducing technique.

Quote:
The major plus with a Turbo is you have a massive torque band.
Not quite. The S65 has one of the broadest and flattest torque bands around. With a good turbo you get more torque at low rpms, good from a dig or for pulling stumps but not what makes a car the most exciting nor the most potent at the track. Turbos then generally can not keep up their performance to a very high redline thus their band width suffers.

Quote:
When you undertand the real term of LAG, an NA engine has LAG ALL THE WAY TO REDLINE, at it never has that boosted torque increase.
That's nonsense. Anyone who says that a very sporty engine like the S65 suffers from lag is utterly confused about lag.

Quote:
Unfortunately you always seem to get NA or Turbo enthusiasts. It is usually one or the other as a preference.
Agreed.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0