View Single Post
      09-22-2011, 06:47 AM   #216
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
I like to think that everybody involved with a new BMW be it the designer, engineer and the marketeer are very much a team effort.
Absolutely, SCOTT.

I wasn't trying to start a big debate or derail the thread. Nor do I want to discuss the issues (very real issues, issues that BMW eventually acknowledged, though whether they have been satisfactorily addressed is still a matter of heated debate) with BMW's turbocharged I6 engines.

My point is simply that with a business, everything must come down to money. And obviously the turbo I6-powered BMW's are selling like hotcakes, regardless of any problems they may or may not have today. Thus, my point is that the incentive to put any more money into them - at least the ones on the market today - is very low. So then, no amount of input of technical nature from an engineer or anyone else on the team for that matter is relevant. What is relevant is that the products are making BMW loads of cash, and will continue to for the forseeable future, irrespective of what lingering reliability concerns may exist in the minds of current or past customers.

All IMHO, of course.
Appreciate 0