02-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #221
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
All of you torque folks really grate on me (and on other clued up enthusiasts as well).

More torque is fine, nothing wrong with it, however, it does next to nothing for actually making a car faster. Isn't that what most of us actually care about (or profess to care about). Torque is great for mashing the throttle in 7th gear (maybe 8th in the new M3/M4) at 50 mph, but in REAL contests, when choosing the best gear possible to maximize acceleration, hp is the single figure that matters, pretty well totally independent of torque (well again technically power to weight ratio... but POWER not torque).

I don't give a single rats ass about how much more or how much total torque the car will make, neither should any true M enthusiast.
Agree 100%!!! Torque really is not what determines how fast a car will accelerate!!

Even in my world of 60-120 Litre turbo diesel engines, torque ratings are never quoted it is always HORSEPOWER or KW. The reason for this is because the horsepower rating is what determines how much work can be done by that engine, not the torque rating!