View Single Post
      05-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
seanwillnotreturn
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Last time I checked cylinder configuration literally has nothing to do with the amount of power produced. The M3 is not about drag racing. It never has been, and I hope to god that it never will be. Also, it comes down to tradition. The only people that are okay with a V6 BMW (let a lone V6 M car) are new to the brand. And really the only reason that other manufacturers have switched to V-6's are because they are more compact and cheaper to make. Not because the perform better.
i myself dont like a car that's nothing but a drag monster, but isnt it better than just nothing. If 458 italia is speced old 430 engine, i say it's not going to sell 1/10 number. Let me put it this way, engine may be the most important parts of a car regarding performance, but its "importance weight percentage" is still very low like 20% or whatever you name. If M3 score 75 of other 80, why doesnt it just grab 17 or 18 of this 20?

a "unique" spec like IX engine is good but i cannot deny V is in fact better and i can remember i once found source in this forum (no mention again ask engine professional) clarifying how V6 edge out I6. I was major in mechanism but i am no expert of engine notwithstanding i can say cooling or vibration stuff about I6 that limit the amout of power delivered.

And talking about easiler and cheaper, it's exactly the character I engine holds and exactly why BMW has been with it all along. It's kinda strange or is it just human nature that people always find something they call lineage (as if it truly was) to prove how better they know subjects?

I seldom see complaints on switch from I6 to V8 when E9X made debute. Where was the I-complex at that moment?

Last edited by seanwillnotreturn; 05-20-2012 at 10:10 PM..
Appreciate 0