09-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #338
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
Now if BMW could make a N/A V8 that is on par with GM's pushrods or Ford's 5.0 liter, then I would all be in support of that approach. But the S65 isn't up to par with those engines, so we need to stop pretending.
Anyone who knows engines knows that when it comes to horsepower and torque, the S65 given the same displacement as either the ford 5.0 or GM LS engines would be far ahead. The BMW S65 has a big technology advantage when it comes to the ECM, the cam phasing, and knock control systems.

Granted the Ford 5.0 and the GM LS engines are amazing for what they are and at the price point that they are available at, but when it comes to numbers, a if the ford Coyote/Road Runner or GM LS engines were only 4.0 litres, there would be no comparison at all. You need to compare apples to apples my friend! 25% or more displacement to make the same power don't impress me much.

With all the above being said, I had a 2012 Ford Mustang 5.0 for a rental car last summer, and I was impressed by the engine!

P.S.: I don't remember the GM LS engines or the ford modular engines ever winning any of the world engine of the year awards. The S65 has won it's displacement category every year since introduction!

Last edited by BMRLVR; 09-26-2012 at 07:03 PM..
Appreciate 0