United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Sorry, that's just not true.

Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
Fine, you want to call me a liar, then call me a liar.

No one is disputing your claim that you will learn to drive on a track at an HPDE.
No one is disputing your claim that you will get more instruction at an HPDE.
No one is disputing your claim that there is no comparison between M Track Days and an HPDE (although you're the one that seems to have fixated on this point, and you're the one that keeps offering up point-by-point comparisons, some of which aren't even apples to apples).

You claim the M Track Days are marketing events and they don't teach you anything. I agree, and that's how BMW thinks of them. But instruction is not the point of an M Track Day! Everyone I know, including some hard-core track junkies who, like me, do lots and lots of HPDEs, including some of the instructors at those HPDEs, think of them as just plain FUN!

You keep insisting over and over that you'll learn more at an HPDE. I completely agree with this! No argument there! I've done a few dozen HPDEs over the last 20 years in several different cars, and I'm a firm believer in HPDEs. But for someone who's never driven on a track before and just wants to know what it's like, for someone who doesn't want to drive their car on a track the first time, for someone who just wants to have FUN at an event (without worrying about crashing their car), then I still maintain that M Track Days (or a club sponsored Experience Event), is still the best bang for the buck to drive an M car on a track. Compare this to a Porsche Experience event (starts at $385 for 1.5 hrs. in a Boxster or Cayman) and M Track Days are dirt cheap.

I maintain, that no matter where you do an HPDE, it will be more expensive than the figures you quote, if you factor in the cost of the event, tech inspection, wear and tear on tires and brakes, gas, and track insurance (this can cost more than the cost of the HPDE!).

I still think that an M Track Day is the best first step if you've never driven on a track before.
If you like this experience, then sign up for an HPDE, preferably a BMW CCA HPDE and you'll learn a lot more about how to drive on a track.
If you really like this, then buy an old BMW, turn it into a dedicated track car, buy a trailer and a hauler, get really serious, and do every track event within a day's drive.
If you really, really, like this, then consider becoming an instructor or a club racer.

I"m tired of arguing the same points over and over with you, so let's just agree to disagree. Nothing you've said seems to be deterring people from signing up for these events. You're perfectly entitled to your opinion, but I'm done "discussing" this with you.

Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1937.50