View Single Post
      11-16-2012, 02:11 PM   #123
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

As I ponder the new M3 and M4 the disappointing thing for me is that if interested in the M4 (specifically a 2 door coupe) I will very likely be paying more for a car that will cost less and be nearly identical otherwise.

More "clever" BMW Marketing here with the M4. The car may offer some exterior colors, interior trim or other options the M3 won't have. Other than that and the door count of course the cars will be identical. The extra doors in the M3 will probably mean it will actually cost more to manufacture than the M4. Last but not least I also expect a few dozen lines of code in the ECU to be different in the M4 (more boost) which will provide more power (of course at very near to $0 of cost for BMW). Perhaps the M3 will come in with just a bit more power than the E92 (as rumored here on the forum) than the outgoing M3, say 430-ish whereas the M4 will be bumped up in the 450-ish range.

Thus those who want a coupe are going to have to pay quite a bit more (I'd guess $7k minimally), will get a less expensive car to produce with a bit more power.

I find this scenario/prospect very displeasing. Am I right here, totally off base??
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0