06-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #34
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
...V8 to V6 is not easy, mainly due to the counterbalances and the bank angle being different. Most efficient V6 angle is 60deg. S63Tu is 90deg. When you consider the magnitude of the changes required, you may as well build an new engine from scratch.
Mostly not true. So much can be reused beginging from basic 3D design of major and minor components and including testing results as well. Sure, balancing will add some extra balance shafts but again, mostly incorrect.

Quote:
The only supporting factor for V6 being a reality, is that BMW have worked extensively on a new range of 3 cylinder engines. Not inconceivable to believe they could join two together to make a V engine. But would they really go through all that trouble to make a similar displacement 6 cylinder engine to one they already have? After all, the only possible advantage of a V would be the shorter engine, and it's rearward CG making balancing the car easier.
Well, and their adaptation of the S85 to the S65 as I mentioned earlier...

It's tough to know their exact cost structure based on cylinder configuration but again, this probably comes down to cost above all else. And at the same volume the I6 is likely to cost less mostly due to heads/valves and related part count.

Last but not least we don't have to worry about the car achieving 50-50 weight balance as closer to 40-60 is much more ideal from a true physics/engineering perspective. Of course BMW won't achieve anything like this and will continue their marketing drivel about 50-50.

Quote:
Regarding the videos and sound profile, to be honest it could well sound like a V6, it does have a warble tone to it consistent with a V6 engine.....or then again it could be the different timing of the twin turbo's exhaust plumbing on a straight 6
As I've said time and time again, I'd place money that no one here on this forum can positively identify I6 vs. V6 based on that difference alone. Split pin V6's fire every 120° as do I6's making identification based on exhaust acoustics alone very difficult (perhaps nearly impossible).
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0