swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
So maybe not 40 lbs but say 20 lbs just by lighter wheels
Absolutely, I'm just pointing out what really is, from any practical sense, impossible.

Quote:
and then say 50 lbs with lighter seats
Also quite doubtful. The OEM seats weigh 45 lb ea. Recaro Sportster seats WITHOUT airbags come in at 33 lb ea. Thus we are likely to see about half of your quite optimistic value. Maybe 3/4 of it absolutely best case scenario including all four seats. Again the rears are quite light already...

Quote:
Progress isn't made by engineers and companies being so negative and restricted by status que and thoughts like "can't be done", "not going to happen", "too expensive" etc. Progress is made by people who set goals and then make it happen. More remarkable things has been done than building a 3300 lbs car when you have the strength, knowledge and power of BMW. Germany like the US are very good at that kind of free thinking and "just do it" attitude. There are many vendors who will bend backwards to become BMW suppliers and I think BMW need the M3 to be a halo car. Maybe I have too high opinion of BMW and M, time will tell.

I'm pretty sure the same negative outlook would have been given if someone said that the E60 M5 and E90 M3 would have the engines they got before it was known. An M unique engine? V10?, V8 M3?, What redline? Not going to happen, followed by the price of similar cars and the cost involved etc. This time it's primarily about the weight not the engine and that's BMW's own statement not mine.
I'm a pretty big M fan and give BMW M a lot of credit for innovation, bang for the buck, delivering what the market wants and a real legacy of class dominating cars. I've owned 3 M3's myself and make very careful and calculated purchasing decisions. I don't doubt the BMW M will pull out some great weight savings trickery. But again they already did so in the E92 M3! Have you read the list of all the parts they made hollow (including even carpet fibers, IIRC) just to get to its somewhat portly weight.... As a (recovering) engineer myself with experience in design, simulation, costing, composites, etc. I just have natural and healthy skepticism that BMW can obtain a sub 3300 lb M4 when the 435i is heavier than the 335i (again in a apples to apples engine and transmission comparison). Sure they can do it, it's just that the bean counters are in much more control than it seems they've been in the past. I've posted and discussed BMW investor relations documents in the past that go on and on about "parts commonality" and "material offensives" both attacking cost.

Have a look at all of the areas I predicted BMW will be saving weight in the M4 way back in late 2010 here. Maybe my numbers were conservative maybe you can save more.

As the late Carl Sagan used to say, "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence". To me a sub 3330 curb weight is indeed an extraordinary claim.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0