View Single Post
      01-07-2024, 04:37 PM   #6
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yeah I didn't expect many people to share their friction curve chart, it might be proprietary. Ill try to navigate their site again, but it's quite terrible (carbotech) for some reason the model will not populate after selecting make. Maybe a database query issue idk, but it takes a bunch of fiddling to get it to work.

Ok so carbotech 1521 costs $524 and Paragon p2 costs $324, that's quite a big chunk of change imo and idk if it's necessarily worth the difference. I haven't tried either pad on this platform so I can't comment other than I know winmax's are really good on the frs platform and people really loved the w2. So I'd love it if Paragon stock a few sets for us to try out.

Yup the R pads are race compounds and that means it's going to squeal and squeak like crazy on the street so it really isn't ideal for street use. I'm interested in them for track use (I wish they stocked the R7 instead of the R5, I'm afraid the R5 won't have a high enough temp ceiling but we will see), and the p2's are semi metallic and I'm interested in them for street/autox use (so I don't have to keep changing pads all the time, it's pretty much a dual purpose pad). I kind of like paragon's pads, they're really affordable compared to the competition and offer pretty good performance. So I can't wait to try them out this summer.
I’ve seen a lot of friction curves for various pad compounds from the same manufacturer where they have a unit-less y-axis so you can only relatively compare their pad compounds but can’t compare with any other pad manufacturers. Could be due to proprietary reasons.

I’m used to spending $600-700 for just the F pads in PFC and AP calipers so $500 for a complete F & R set sounds cheap! Yeah, $200 difference is significant. The P2 pad, based on its friction curve, looks like it doesn’t have a high resistance to fade even on the street. The PFC z-rated pad compound is an excellent dual-duty pad but requires a little heat before the bite well. Once there’s heat in them they have a high resistance to fade for a street compound. Nice thing about CT1521 is it’s compatible with PFC race compounds so it’s easy to transfer new pad material to the rotors. Below are unit-less friction and characteristic curves for PFC race and street compounds. PFC race pads are by far my favorite pads. The new 331, 332 and 333 pads work well with stock ABS systems. 11 and their old 03 and 05 are my go to track pads. The Paragon P2 and P3 curves show very different characteristics - P2 much better initial bite but P3 has higher resistance to fade and better bite at higher temps. P3 is probably the better dual-purpose pad if you can deal with a lower initial cold and hot bite. P7 looks far superior to P5 but but their curves are only up to ~1500 F. PFC and CT pads can handle ~1800-2000 F before fading. Friction curves don’t tell you the full story about pad characteristics which is what really separates one pad compound from another. Makes recommending race pad compounds difficult because people have different braking styles (street pads less so but it still matters). So it’s worth trying the different Peragon P and R compounds to find out if they match your braking style and preferences.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
F87source7310.50