09-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #350
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I have a hard time buying into your money emphasis.
The increase in horsepower between the current V8 and the new N55 (414 to 440) is a mere 26 HP. Dinan, as an example, gives you more than that (without turbo's) on an S65 + a substantial torque increase. A Dinan S65 cost 25k but If BMW put a Dinan like engine into assembly line production, I bet it would add, max, 5k to the cost of the car. I'm not sure, but ,to me, the re-worked N55 is going to add that and maybe more.
It just seems that some inexpensive off-the-shelf tweaks done by BMW (routinely done by tuners) to the S65 could have achieved the same power/torque performance as its evident replacement and at less cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Well I don't work high up in the BMW marketing /Engineering team for future projects, so couldn't give you the insiders answer.

I take it neither do you?
Search here on the forum or on the web for documents presented by BMW corporate to financial shareholders (the big ones). There is a huge emphasis on cost savings through the use of more common part across platforms. Really, take my word or look it up yourself. It is a well known and huge effort at BMW and you can see its results across other cars as well.

Secondly the best speculation I have heard on the new M3 engine is 450+ hp not 440. Yes that result can be achieved with tuning of the S65. However, the new turbo I6 will be much LESS expensive than the S65, not MORE expensive. BMW gets excited about pennies and dollars of savings. Something that would add $5k (even though you have radically overestimated) would be laughed right out of the room.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 09-27-2012 at 09:33 PM..
Appreciate 0