05-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #57
I M STIG
RawAutos.com
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto2315 View Post
I should of clarified. I was with MB from 2005 till about 3 months ago. When I started with MB, the C55 and the E55 were the epitome of striaght line performance with little to offer in the corners. The C63 and CLK63 Black Series were literally the first AMGs that put handling back in focus.

What I remember most when I was with MB was when I was down at our service center with an MB Corporate Instructor and he was driving an SLR McLaren, while his co-instructor was in the CLK63 BS and they were taking turns with our shop foreman on trying to fine tune something (forgot what it was). On any rate, they both said that in terms of handling, the SLR felt like a yacht compared to the CLK63 BS and that AMG GmbH is starting to realize now that upcoming models need to have the same recipe.

The SLS is a beast around the track. Got a chance to go to Laguna Seca and drive them around the track, but what blew me away were the professional race car driver's that took it to the next level. It's still a bit heavier than the rest of the crowded field of competitors, which is why the lap times aren't "favorable". What AMG needs most is to go on a diet...

EDIT: Next Black Series treatment is the SLS.

EDIT EDIT: What BMW needs is a halo car to compete with the SLS
Let's be straight: AMG are doing a fantastic job, no doubt. However, they're still not up to par with BMW. I'd say AMG and Cadillac's V series are very similar in chassis dynamics with the power loads. The CTS-V is a bit better in some areas, while the C63 AMG is a bit more fun to drive. That's my personal feeling. However, the M3 is still very much so the king in this segment. Not trying to be a fanboy, but Cadillac have a little bit more to play with before they've beaten the M3 at BMW M's game.

2009 E90 M3| Jerez Black | Extended Silver Novillo with Brushed Aluminum | 6MT | EDC | Premium Package II | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | HD Radio | Heated front seats | Fold down rear seats | Moonroof | 19" wheels |
RawAutos.com
Appreciate 0