Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sounds like they are using the space vacated by the CFRP driveshaft (the steel one will have a smaller diameter, presumably) to install some additional emissions equipment that is required to meet new regulatory requirements:
"At a later point in time, a petrol particulate filter (PPF) will be incorporated into the existing installation space in these models in major markets."
Either that or it's BS and they just want to cut costs, or perhaps even that they want to give the CS one more distinguishing characteristic to try to better justify its massive jump in MSRP from the base model M4.
This is what I don't get. Why do the regular M3/4 need this for regulations, but the CS doesn't? Uh ok.

If it isn't needed until a later time then why not continue with the CF shafts until it is required? Are they going require those vehicles to come back in and get the additional emissions equipment? Obviously I kind of doubt it. Sounds like cost cutting to me.
Turning off one supplier and turning off another is not easy. It could have been planned to happen at the same time, and the filter was delayed, or maybe the steel supplier needed to ensure a certain production volume to meet a business case. Of course cost is a factor, but it's not malicious "screw the customer to save a dollar" type stuff. It's the reality of a complex mass production operation.