10-30-2017, 11:42 AM   #280
swagon
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Your sample size of one is just a little on the small side, no? Like I said, you just haven't been paying attention to the lineup.

They've been removing manual transmissions from the option sheet for a long time now. You haven't been able to get a 7 Series with a manual transmission for generations now, and the 5 Series similarly hasn't had the option since the E60 if not the E39 (in the US, anyway). Similar story for the X5 and the X3. And the X4/X6 have never had manuals offered. Even with today's 3 Series, there are only some models that can be had with manual. And the 4 Series GC has no manual on offer at all. On the M front, the manual was removed from the M5 last generation except in the US, and the new one has no manual even here in the US. M8 will not have a manual either.

The only upcoming BMW I know of that is currently reported to get a manual option is the Z4. Hopefully that becomes a reality. It is still likely for the next 1, 2, 3, 4 Series to all offer manuals in some capacity, but that hasn't yet been confirmed. I should add that the next M2 is all but a lock for the MT option too.
Just FYI, non-M F10 could be had with el Manuél, too. 535i and 550i at least.

They'll still be producing manual cars, but my guess is only the low-spec models that the US and other markets outside Europe don't even get. So exactly where it makes the least sense for enthusiasts. There's really no added Freude am Fahren by a manual transmission in a G30 520d.

I think the F2x/F3x are the last hurrah of manual, RWD, inline-six Bimmers.
Appreciate 0