View Single Post
      07-02-2013, 07:01 AM   #103
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
BMW needs to produce an engine that gets the job done. But not only that, a complete package. If your competition uses V8's etc, then don't be using an excuse of "we are not all about power, displacement, etc.)
If you compare the cars from past generations, you'll see the M3 usually has less displacement and/or less power than the competition from AMG and Quattro GmbH. Despite this, it has been the leader in the segment. So I don't really see them making excuses, nor needing to. They let the results speak for themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
The single turbo is there by regulation, not by engineering choices... The previous gen F1 Turbo V6 engines used twin turbos, as that was (is) the preferred choice on a V engine layout.
It is interesting to me that, when looking at what's going on with IndyCar, even though a twin-turbo setup is allowed, Honda has chosen to use a single turbo (GM uses two). One advantage I think is that the single turbo engine is slightly lighter. I believe Honda has had more success to date, though it may have nothing to do with the induction setup on the engine (there has been a lot of controversy since BW redesigned the Honda compressor cover). Incidentally, the IndyCar engines have more displacement than the F1 engines (2.2L vs. 1.6L), but can only spin up to 12,000 RPM vs. 15,000 RPM for F1. As far as I know, these engines do not use any electric assist for the turbos like the F1 engines are slated to (thanks for posting all of the info, BTW, very interesting stuff) so it would be interesting to know how they perform as far as power delivery.
Appreciate 0