12-09-2013, 01:57 AM   #21
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
I just read today in roundel that the CF driveshaft is so stiff it no longer requires a center bearing - is that accurate?
Yes. This has been stated in prior releases of information and you can clearly see the difference between the corresponding parts in the current E9X M3 and the new part in the pictures.

Quote:
I'm really intrigued to drive this. Anytime you dramatically reduce the weight of an integral rotating part, the feeling of direct-response increases. The flywheel is probably the most classic example.
Not exactly. It is basically the same as loosing weight with the added benefit that it is rotating weight. Performance is increased although the effect of this part alone won't be big enough to be felt. Now if you are talking about how quick an engine will rev in neutral that is a whole different thing which is affected much more by large changes to flywheel moment of inertia reductions

Quote:
But the driveshaft has always been the longest rotating part of the assembly and the most prone to torsional forces as a result - so now I'm really curious how a super stiff super lightweight driveshaft feels in a high torque application.
You, nor a seasoned race driver will not be able to tell the difference. The main reason is that the overall torsional stiffness of this part of the drivetrain is governed by the hard rubber "mating" parts that give the drivetrain a much decreased torsional rigidity giving the driveline an acceptable level of feel and "forgiveness". Those parts of the system will have their stiffnesses altered to accommodate the new design but very well might have their stiffnesses decreased substantially.

In short slightly more performance, non detectable.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0