07-12-2012, 01:16 AM   #9
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRV View Post
yea for real, i really cant stand it when someone blasts the old clichet at someone " You dont buy an M car and worry about gas consumption stupid!" Well, maybe without the "stupid" but you get what i'm saying. Everyone has different concerns when purchasing a car M or Z or F. Wouldnt you take an M3 w/similar performance that is nicer to your wallet??? If you say no your just lying lol.
Performance isn't what an M car is about, it's about the way it feels in your hands, the way it sounds, etc.

Those of us arguing against chasing fuel efficiency are only against it because you usually end up sacrificing the things we care more about. I saw the new M6 at my local dealer the other day and heard it rev and, when someone else test drove it, heard it fly by me and it sounds ok but it wasn't very exciting. The first time I heard an S85 V10 I wanted nothing more than to get behind the wheel and drive it but the new M6 didn't have that effect on me. I wasn't very interested in it at all, the performance numbers are hugely impressive but personally I would rather buy an M6 with the 5.5L V10 with 575 horsepower they were supposedly working on than one with the TTV8 even if the V8 gets me further on a tank of gas.

Simply put, for me and for a lot of other enthusiasts the added excitement of a screaming N/A engine outweighs the minor inconvenience of spending a bit more time and money at the pump.
Appreciate 0