View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #46
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

From my understanding the full lap is slightly longer than the SportAuto lap (timed during industry sessions), which adds about 5-7 secs, as it allows full speed past one of the sets of stands (again used for entry/exit during industry sessions).

I remember reading this whole expose on Nurburgring times and how like at least 4 different distances are recorded and how factory drivers actually have 'ringers' - one example was the Cadillac CTS-V, which had a roll cage, suspension stiffened, and higher boost to deal with the higher elevations of the Nurburgring, with the goal being to beat the M3 (which it did by a few secs, but M3 was tested by Sport Auto). With all their Supertests, SportAuto takes a 100% stock car right from the showroom floor.

There are several videos of E9x M3s hitting in the low 7:50s BTG and lightly tuned ones (weight removal, suspension, brakes, tires) getting into the higher 7:30s and 7:40s. Once again, its about comparing things apples to apples.

We'll never know what BMW's actual Nurburgring times are with factory drivers. What we do know is that the E92 CRT and GTS do 7:48-7:50 (SportAuto), with similar weight/power ratios as the new M3/4, but both those vehicles have more hardcore suspension setups, so would expect an M3/M4 SportAuto time in low-mid 7:50s. Also the M3 tested in 2007 was a MT. We've never had a SportAuto test of an 2013 M3 with ZCP, DCT, PSSs and latest software (which was improved upon over the years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
This is one of the best laps I've seen in a M6. It's a 8:05 lap and he does BTG in 7:44.

So here it's 21s added to a full lap on the BTG time.

Last edited by FogCityM3; 05-15-2014 at 07:40 PM..
Appreciate 0