View Single Post
      05-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #213
Evan135
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: My wife Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
It is not possible for an inline-6 engine to have two twin-scroll turbochargers. It would mean separating 6 cylinder outputs into 4 exhaust paths, which is impossible.

It would not be unconcievable for me that the next M3 would have one small twin-scroll turbocharger (for lag-free operation and powerful low-end) and one large single-scroll turbocharger for top-end power. They can also employ variable geometry turbine for the large turbo, to further optimize the power band. But I am not sure that this configuration can achieve a flat torque curve from like 1200RPM, because the large turbo has no way to begin spinning at that engine speed and the small turbo would have to provide all the torque until 2000RPM which would be quite hard to achieve. But who knows...
Why not? If you look at an I6 as two I3 engines bolted together and you let each back of 3 cylinders run each twin scroll, similar to how the N54 is set up with a single scroll, all you have to do is have an exhaust that is split or have a varible tract for each bank of 3 cylinders. This is a simpler solution than how the exhaust is routed on the diesel tri-turbo engines or what BMW went through to get the V8's turbocharged with the turbos placed in the engine V. Your sequential setup is another good idea.
Appreciate 0