View Single Post
      09-17-2020, 02:42 PM   #47
TheBreeze
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Old thread, but since this seems to be the one that debates the use of factory brackets, I thought I add my 2 cents based on my recent install of the rw cs lip. I was strongly considering spending the extra $400 for the factory hardware, but decided to inspect it first and weigh options. I most definitely did not like using those cheap ass self tapping screws, that seemed like recipe for disaster at track speeds. So I decided to use the 12 mounting points provided on the lip, and use 8x 8mm bolts secured from behind with body nuts (similar to what is used to secure the under body panels to the bumper), plus 4 expanding rivets in the locations where body nuts were not possible. Using this mounting method, it's super solid, and makes the whole bumper/lip assembly very sturdy with no risk of self-tapping screws backing out or becoming loose. Note that I also trimmed up the right/left deflectors so the whole thing went back together very cleanly. I did opt remove the bumper cover to give myself maximum access. The last picture shows the expanding rivets. It was not possible to use body nuts at those locations because the bumper internals blocked access. I felt the expanding rivets would be way more secure than those flimsy self-tapping screws. I did also have PPF applied before installation, cost me an extra $150.
Attached Images

Last edited by TheBreeze; 09-17-2020 at 03:15 PM..
Appreciate 3
TideMD291.50
bmwbrad22249.00