View Single Post
      08-15-2011, 07:40 PM   #193
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako View Post
as far as the actual engine and the report of an enhanced N55 engine, do you really think BMW would do that? I mean they did it for the 1M but thats a different beast, I could see them taking a N55 and turning it into a 3.2L and then adding two large turbos but that is still a completely new engine, not just an enhanced N55 (just my opinion). If in fact it is just a N55 with an extra turbo, 430HP like the article suggests, then they are going to lose a lot of sales to Mercedes and Audi, Especially if the price is the same or higher than the current M3, not many will pay $70K for a loaded M3 that is using a N55 engine with an extra turbo.
M5, M6, X5 M, and X6 M all use what could be described as an "enhanced N63". You may instead call the S63 and S63Tu a whole new engine, but that's all pretty subjective (though at leat the Tu adds valvetronic).

For the M3, it's almost surely gonna be an engine that is adapted from the standard I6. To me the important part is not how much M does to the engine, but how much power they get from it and how the car performs.
Appreciate 0