10-10-2012, 04:38 PM   #232
quackman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
I have a Dinan (software + exhaust +...) tuned car. Before I put the stuff on my car, I checked with my dealer who said the BMW warranty was not affected. I have since brought my car in to the dealer to have warranty work (admittedly small stuff) done on it and have never been turned away. They simply put the words "Dinan tuned" on the work order.
If you look on this map, http://www.dinancars.com/dealers/, you will find many, many BMW dealers who will put Dinan products on your car. My guess is, these dealers would not perform mods which they new would void the BMW warranty. I don't think it would be good for business.
Dina appears to have some kind of in with BMW. However promising that might appear, it would still be smart to check into the warranty issue.
From the same site: http://www.dinancars.com/warranty.aspx
"If your vehicle is currently covered by the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty, Dinan products are warranted for the remaining term of the vehicle manufacturer's new car limited warranty..... Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold. To obtain service under this warranty, the vehicle must be brought, upon discovery of a malfunction or defect in materials and/or workmanship, to the workshop of any Authorized Dinan Dealer"

Dinan does its best to match the original, factory-warranty on its parts and work, and dealerships do have a rapport with Dinan to put its warranty to work. But the parts that you mod are no longer warrantied by BMW themselves. As such, the warranty claim does need to be handled at a Dinan-authorized dealership.

"CARS NO LONGER COVERED BY THE ORIGINAL VEHICLE MANUFACTURER'S NEW CAR LIMITED WARRANTY
Dinan Performance Products are warranted for a 2-year, unlimited mileage period from the date of original purchase. Dinan's warranties are transferable when ownership of the vehicle into which the Dinan products were originally installed is sold.
"

This can be a good thing, because Dinan gives at least 2 years of warranty on its products. So if you have the Dinan mods done when you have less than 2 years left on your otherwise factory warranty, you get the peace of mind in knowing there is still a warranty on the mods you've done, though courtesy of Dinan, not BMW.