View Single Post
      09-28-2012, 03:52 AM   #357
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Certainly part of the reason for the very existence of the N63 is prestige - to have a "big" and "powerful" V8 for the 5ers and 7ers that sport the engine. Last but not least although development costs are important and large, they pale in comparison to production costs.
Since I neglected to address this in my post above -

I will certainly agree that the V8 models are there partly for prestige, but lets not forget that they are also there because the competition offers similar vehicles at a given performance level so you have to do what you need to to keep up.

But just as important here, lets not ignore the fact that a degree exclusivity for the M products effects their engineering just as prestige does for the higher end luxury products.

Regarding production cost, we will soon see if you are correct, perhaps. If the new M I6 is going to save a heap of money on that front well then why shouldn't it propagate throughout the lineup, replacing the N63tu? Prestige? Let's look at the diesel engines for a moment. Notice that (after it went on hiatus for a time) BMW has effectively replaced the V8 diesel formerly in the 7 series with the new N57S tri-turbo I6 (incidentally, also an M-developed motor). Mercedes and Audi still use a V8 in this class. Who needs prestige when you can match the competitors' performance with a pumped of version of the same engine you use in the lowly 330i (with, you guessed it, a different induction system, of course)?
Appreciate 0