View Single Post
      05-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #36
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

I don't know why there is need for a hostile, sarcastic tone. I would ask that you lighten it up a bit. Becoming aggressive does not strengthen your argument, it weakens it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Uh, sure. 33% more moving parts just magically ignore the laws of physics.
Oh? But which laws of physics cover quantity of moving parts? Mass and friction are the name of the game, not number of moving parts. Will the V8 having more rotating mass and more internal friction? Perhaps. There are so many different parts to consider that this is not something that can be asserted blanketly. For example, given the same displacement, generally the V8 will have a smaller bore than the 6 cylinder engine, so its pistons will have a smaller circumference. Bearing races may also be smaller. So while there will be more of these parts in the V8 than the 6, the friction itself will not increase by one third. This is just a quick analysis, other factor exist as well.

Quote:
And don't try to say they'd weigh the same, eight extra valves and springs, two extra plugs, heavier crankshaft with counter balances for the V8, there's no way this works out.
You're speculating. The fact is there are very compact lightweight V8 engines out there today. Lexus has even said that the V10 in the LFA weighs less than their corporate V6.

Quote:
The old M60 3.0L V8 got horrific mileage when compared to even the M30 3.5L.
And a modern 5.0L Ford V8 or GM 6.2L V8 get great gas mileage - better than an S65 with its smaller displacement, and better than a 4L H6 from Porsche too I might add. Technology marches on. Citing older engines from days gone by probably doesn't make for a very compelling argument.

Quote:
Further, the smaller displacement per cylinder will result in less torque
I disagree. Torque is a by and large bound by displacement (both physical or virtual via forced induction).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...isplacement.29

The best V8 is marginally lower than the best six cylinder. And note that these are very nearly the same displacement engine. The difference could easily be due to other factors involved, such as the design of the valvetrain, heads, induction system, etc.
Appreciate 0