United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnash View Post
Long time lurker....first time poster here. Ive been considering switching from a long line of MB cars Ive owned to BMW M.
And I completely agree with most of the other posters....I want an `M3` partly for the heritage that the name brings with it as my first BMW. Im gonna wait for the new model to show up and if the coupe is called an M4, Im going to just pick up a nice used 2012 E92.
BMW youve already lost atleast 1 customer because of the name change! Im sure Im not the only one.
Seriously? If the successor to the E92 M3 is outstanding in all avenues of performance, but is renamed to "M4", you would no longer consider it due to the name alone? That sounds like the definition of badge snobbery to me. I understand the heritage of the M3 name and how the designations for M cars are derived, but I also understand why BMW would like to differentiate the moniker between 4 door and 2 door models.

Are the people who are getting so worked up over the name afraid that someone might not know what an "M4" is when you tell them what kind of car you drive? If that's the case, I don't see why it would matter. True car guys will still know what an M3 and a potential M4 is. When you tell a non car savvy person what you drive, they probably won't know, or care what kind of car you are talking about.