09-28-2012, 02:44 AM   #355
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
swamp, it is important to keep in mind that BMW already has a perfectly suitable turbocharged V8 sitting in the parts bin - the N63tu. Like the N54 used in the 1M, calling this engine into duty for the next M3/M4 would have cost them next to nothing as far as powertrain development is concerned. The engine, in fact, makes ~450hp which is just about what we expect from the "S55".

It is not difficult to deduce, then, contrary to your claim, money is clearly not the primary motivator for M engine choices - at least not for the M3/M4 (it may very well have been for the 1M - in fact I'd guess that it was).
The existence of the N63tu in no way proves or even makes a point counter to my claim.

Sorry, at BMW these days money is king. I know it is hard to admit, especially for our precious M division, but they are getting greedier and greedier over time. Perhaps too big for their own good. I certainly am not "preaching" against capitalism, but it does have its consequences.

What part of this very good prior post did you miss,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullbussa View Post
The best engine for the next M3 is the one that makes the most power, reliably, with the best torque curve, all the while doing it as efficiently as possible (mpg).
I should just add to this quote that these must be accomplished as well as producing the engine AT THE LEAST COST POSSIBLE.

An I6 will be so much less expensive than any kind of modified N63. It will be less expensive at the same volume and much less expensive at the very high volume given the plethora of vehicles it will be used in. Volume is the key to controlling cost, materials, suppliers, automation, etc. Certainly part of the reason for the very existence of the N63 is prestige - to have a "big" and "powerful" V8 for the 5ers and 7ers that sport the engine. Last but not least although development costs are important and large, they pale in comparison to production costs.

OK the images are really the last points:
  1. "We are driven by our goal to increase profitability"
  2. R&D spending: Recovering but way down as a percentage. Probably a coincidence that this spending peaked right around the time of the development of the S65 and S85...
  3. Standardize architectures (read dump a slightly modded regular 3er engine in the M3 and M4)
  4. Material cost offensive: Drive down costs (to generate more profit)
* Source - March 2012 BMW Investor Presentation

It can not be made much more clear than this.
Attached Images

| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0