09-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #360
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
From an R&D perspective, I am struggling to come up with a convincing argument that could demonstrate how taking an N55 and reworking the entire induction system, valvetrain, and heads to create an "S55" will somehow save money vs. just using the N63tu V8 that's already been developed for the 6 and 7 series range of products.

I don't really want to get into a long winded debate or pissing match of any kind, but in my mind the truth in all this is pretty darn clear - BMW M is developing the "S55" not because it is the cheapest solution, but because it meets their needs best which include not just costs, and not even just efficiency or performance either, but also some degree of exclusivity and some degree of heritage too, and probably other intangibles that the marketing minds at BMW have ways of quantifying with respect to monetization.
Focusing on R&D instead of production is the exact reason why you would come to an incorrect conclusion about the TOTAL cost the engine choice. Certainly the development costs of a tweaked or even heavily modified N55 will be greater than the near zero cost of using an already developed engine. As I mentioned prior, the development costs pale in comparison to the production costs. This is true for most any high volume precision mechanical type of product. The savings for the new M engine will be primarily due to the shared components cost being driven down in a very significant fashion due to the huge volumes that those components will be manufactured in. Also the I6 will have less components then a similar FI V8. We are not talking a bit more production here but orders of magnitude more for the shared engine components spread among a great deal of cars including some of the base 3ers, BMWs highest volume vehicle.

Again the I6 was chosen as the LEAST expensive solution that met the power and efficiency requirements, period. If somehow BMW could have the production volume of their turbo V8 and base V8 higher than the I6 and somehow they could make it less expensive it absolutely would be the engine going into the next M3&M4.

No pissing match here just a discussion/debate!

Cheers.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0