View Single Post
      06-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #55
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
We will probably have to agree to disagree on this one. I believe that the car that is following is at a disadvantage. Think of all the great race ends, where a second place car is able to catch the leading car thus clearly showing greater speed but then be unable to pass. While I understand defensive maneuvers are likely at play too here, IMO, it is more difficult to maintain speed while closely following another car because you need to adapt to the car in front and compromise your own driving. At least this has been my own experience.

While I fully agree that a slower driver can benefit a lot by following a faster driver, but the point here is to compare the cars, not drivers.

At the end of the video (probably because of editing, as you stated), we don't see that the RS5 gained much ground of the M3. In my book, if the following car is able to keep up, it usually means that it is faster. So the video does not prove anything.

I am not claiming that the M3 is faster than the RS5 (other evidence seems to point that the RS5 is actually slightly faster). My point is that this video itself is useless. The only "evidence" that the RS5 is quicker, is the subjective impression of the drivers.

Thanks for the compliments, I can also say the same about you. Cheers .
If you were doing this test, you'd ascertain which car was quicker, and put that car in front. Then you'd make sure the viewer wouldn't be bored by keeping the cars close together at all times, via editing. I'd do the same.

The result? Subjective, I guess, but if you and I were in these cars, we'd know who was quicker.

This would be a fun conversation for an hour or so over beers on the back porch.

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 06-24-2014 at 11:04 AM..
Appreciate 0