View Single Post
      11-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #38
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

A few things to add here:

You can feel a vibration in your steering wheel AND THE REST OF THE CAR and it come from the rear axle, or driveshaft, etc.

But if your vibration is PREDOMINANTLY in the steering wheel and much less noticeable in other parts (i.e. gear shift), then it is a front axle problem.

A diff replacement is "simple" in the sense that it's not a complex job. However, it is not difficult to mess up the delicate balance of 3 rotating assemblies going out from the diff - the driveshaft side or the 2 axles. So while perhaps the new diff is causing the vibration issue, it could also simply be an installation issue causing a balancing problem at 60-70mph resulting in notable vibration emerging at those speeds.

It is very unusual to have a diff-related internal issue that only emerges within a narrow band of speed. That's a balancing issue and unless the diff itself is faulty, the more likely culprits to emerge in a balancing issue are on the driveshaft side.

Small anecdote: I had a 2007 vw touareg v10 twin turbo diesel. Under an extended warranty, but at ~120k miles, one turbo failed which required the entire engine be dropped out of the bottom of the car in order to replace. These are not common VW vehicles, so expertise is limited. The dealership I took it too fucked up the perfect driveshaft during the R&R and said it was faulty when I COULDNT leave the parking lot because it was knocking against the chassis so hard by 5mph. They tried to deliver it back to me that way.

I then located a 2nd (again, rare) driveshaft, drove 250 miles to get it, brought it back, and had them re-install it. A BRAND NEW driveshaft from VW.

Immediately after leaving the dealership, when under heavy throttle, the driveshaft would knock into the center tunnel of the car.

My point behind all this is even with brand new parts, installation is crucial and it is very easy to screw up a mounting bushing or U-joint and not even realize it, resulting in various issues.
Appreciate 0