10-27-2017, 10:43 AM   #44
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeFromPA View Post
The S65 is an amazing engine and under-appreciated for it's reliability (In fact, I think most M engines are under-appreciated for that). It consumes gobs of oil and sucks for fuel economy, but it's quite reliable.

I'll just chime in that I think the S55 - now that it's over 3 years old - has proven itself to be a remarkable powerplant. It's fuel economy is great for it's output, it doesn't consume oil, and so far as I know it's been a remarkably reliable engine. Some small percentage of tuned users have spun a crank hub - that's about all I've ever seen.

The engine and drivetrain are about the only f80-specific parts that were brand new in 2015 and that you'd worry about - at this point I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 2015 f80 (I am biased as an owner). It doesn't appear to have any first year quirks, and the rest of the platform was 4 years old.
Completely agree and as the prior owner of a 2008 E90 M3 I would say the F8x follows the same pattern. I had no issues with my 2008 which was 7 years old and 80k+ miles when I sold it other than throttle actuators once which was covered under warranty and, as you mentioned, was a very common occurrence throughout the life cycle. BMW has seemed to nail reliability out of the gate on both the current and previous M3 models.
Appreciate 0