View Single Post
      05-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #129
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
400hp? The next version of the non-M I6 turbo will likely be hitting that sometime later in this decade. M is going to get closer to 500hp than 400hp, just watch. And they will do this even if they don't go with an I6 in an M3. Because they are going to have an I6 in some car M, whether that's a 1M or Z2 M or whatever.
seems to me that an M-specific 3.2 liter turbocharged I-6 engine would easily output 440 hp given the expected output of the F10 M5. The only reason the S63 was lighter than the S54 was because the S54 used an iron block to have strong enough mains to take the 8,000 rpm rev-limit with such a long crank. Technological development should easily allow for an aluminum block to be used now and to only require a small (less than 1,000 rpm) reduction in rev limit.

Therefore, 440hp with a lighter engine is possible in my opinion. This would align with the strategy and leave M something cool to do.

Also, it seems to me like this would be the ideal area to get into some sort of sequential turbo arrangement like the 335d to get the thing to feel more naturally aspirated and to get the volumetric efficiency to allow higher revs, no?
Appreciate 0