08-11-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
What you appear to be saying is to bump up the MSRP by adding M-DCT as standard feature and that way you make more money. However, I think MSRP is set/fixed by marketing, by factoring in cost, competition, etc. and so whatever MSRP they decide on, should be the optimum they think will maximize sales in that country and so you just can't bump up MSRP like that.

So, I agree with southlight that at whatever fixed MSRP that BMW decides on as the optimum, all else being equal, your margin will be greater if you offer M-DCT as an extra cost optional feature.

But I guess all else is not always equal. One exception that I can think of is where by economies of scale it costs more to install the lower demand manual tranny, and so they want to make the M-DCT the standard tranny to discourage people from ordering the manual.
Your latter commentary is what BMW has been doing in the US, making the Auto/DCT as standard and "charging" for the manual- The E92 M3 being the counter to that but the M5 make the DCT standard as far as M cars (manual a no cost option) go and it seems like the F80 will follow in its footsteps.