05-22-2012, 10:19 AM   #165
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by clar View Post
I have a sick feeling in my guts that when they finally announced the details of the next M3, the engine will be underwhelming just like it did on the 1M. I waited for the 1M and when i heard that it was gonna get the same N54 as my 135i, it was no deal for me. Looking at how M is cutting cost these days with no bespoke M engines, i am seriously worried that the I6 on the new M3 is gonna be another tuned up special of the N55/N54 I have full intention on getting the next M3 coupe, but if the engine is not special enough, i am jumping ship. Around this price range (or slightly more), there will be quite a lot of choice with cars like the upcoming Jaguar F type, new Audi R8, etc...
Decent post, but a couple things:
  • The engines BMW has developed in the last ten years offer much, much more power and efficiency than they used to. Heck, the 328 does 0-60 in less than 6 seconds. Bespoke engine development is hideously expensive. BMW only did it because they couldn't get what they needed from the standard engine lineup. Now they can. Why go custom?
  • The R8 starts at $118,000. It's a great car for sure, but it really is a different thing than an M3. It's even a couple years of college tuition more expensive than an M5. I'm not sure the comparison makes sense.