06-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #1
Liberation
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Post F80 M3 / M4 vs my RS5... a back-to-back driving review

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So, I went by BMW of Silver Spring after work for my turn in the MG M3 and made sure I drove my RS5 so that I could get an immediate, back to back impression of M3 and as I drove the RS5 home.

Here are my thoughts...

Looks: The F80 simply looks FANTASTIC! Especially, in the MG! YMB and SS interior was my first choice but MG and SO interior just took it's place. The color is beautiful on the M3.

I remember when the E46 first came out and it was love at first sight (hence why I ended up with one and the F80 is giving me that exact same feeling. It took a while for me to warm up to the E9x but I think this is the best looking M car (and BMW for that matter) since the E46 M3 and E39 M5! Its stunning in person!

The rims, rotors, and brake calipers stand out in a way that pictures just don't capture. I think you all will notice this right away when yours gets delivered.

Interior: As said by other members, no full leather and the headliner leaves something to be desired, the interior is very well done! The seats are some of the best I've sat in and the classic M steering wheel feels great as always. I like the new instrument cluster but prefer the one in the M5/6.

All in all, very driver oriented, everything within reach and laid out in a well, thought out way.

Driving: The torque is easily the first thing I notice. It's instant and it feels great! I'm a huge NA motor fan but being able to get that immediate power from a tap of the throttle is not bad at all! I had it in Sport+ just about the entire time and the car pulls like a freight train! It feels REALLY fast....and it is! It pulls all the way through the rev range and tapping out at 7,600 gives you as close to a NA motor feel that I've driven in a turbo'd motor. Bravo M!

The DCT felt good. Quick shifts but on upshifts under WOT were pretty rough. Feels like you get kicked in your back. Definitely wasn't feeling but since my E46 is a 6MT, I'd still opt for it.

The steering felt great! Had a nice weight to it and was extremely precise. The front end went exactly where you wanted it to go and was very responsive. The chassis felt very tight but extremely balanced. Feedback was better than expected and you can tell they worked hard to get to this point. It's not the hydraulic system in my E46 but for a EPS, it's damn good!

The brakes were great! Tons of bite and great feel. If you're not tracking the car on a regular basis, can't see any need for the CCB package.

Exhaust: Of course, it's not the S65 in the E9x or the V8 in the RS5 but it does sound pretty good under WOT. The engine has a loud and deep growl and the exhaust sounds like it has some 'bite' to it...if that makes any sense. Nevertheless, it's not outstanding but it certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker either.

Now, I love my RS5! I know most M heads hate Audi products but the RS5 is a great car, so, here's how I think they stack up....

Looks is subjective but I think I'd give the slightest edge to the M3. Just the sporty and aggressiveness.....along with the refinement just set the car off just right! The RS5 is gorgeous but I think I like the looks of the M3 more...

The M3 feels faster and that's a direct result of all that torque. I noticed it immediately on my drive home but once I got up to 5,000 RPM's, the RS5 felt just as fast. However, 0-120...I think the M3 wins by a car or so. Just my guess...

I've seen people on here rag on Audi's S-tronic but I gotta be honest, under WOT, the up-shifts in my RS5 felt faster and cleaner than the DCT. Much smoother and downshifts were much better as well. The engine 'blips' during hard downshifting don't sound nearly as good in the M3 and that was a big disappointment. I know it was just a 20 min test drive but as of right now, the S-tronic felt much better.

The interiors are very close in my opinion but where the M3 takes the cake is the option for full leather and I like the seats more. The seats in the RS5 are good but not as good as the M3's.

Technology is basically a wash. I'm a huge fan of Audi's MMI system and especially the Google Earth nav but iDrive is a great system too. These are easily the two best systems on the market but if I had to choose one, it would be Audi's MMI.

The EPS steering in the M3 is definitely a step up compared to the RS5. Better feel and weighted better as well. They both are very precise in what you tell it to do though. Turn in is a little better in the M3 and obviously, less weight up front attributes to that.

The M3 has a better and more comforting ride for just riding around town. The RS5 can be pretty rough for sure and I preferred the ride of the M3 due to this.

Engine/exhaust sound....the RS5.

All in all, I walked away thoroughly impressed with the M3! Much more than I anticipated. Although, I'd like more time with one, if I had to choose, I think I'd pick it over the RS5.

Now that my family will be extending, I will be in the market for a 4 door car in the spring of 15 and I will be certainly be placing an order for an F80! However, I'm in no rush to sell my RS5 and not interested in a first model year BMW. I'll be patient and wait for year two.

Sorry for the long post but hopefully this added a little something to other reviews that are rolling in.

Here's a few pics...

Appreciate 1