View Single Post
      06-23-2014, 09:23 AM   #48
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I am not saying that the M3 is faster than the RS5, but I found that this "follow the leader" video kinda stupid and meaningless to compare the two cars when it first came out.

The second car will always have a tougher time. Different cars are faster on different sections of a track/road. In the sections where the following car could be faster, it cannot leverage its advantage because it butts its nose against the car in front. I've lived this on more than one occasion playing with buddies at the track.

In the video the M3 is always behind the RS5. To have been fair, they should have traded spots.
Wow. You should know better.

The second car always has an easier time than the first car. Always. Back in my track days, I always tried to find a "race buddy" with similar lap times. We'd quickly sort out who had the quicker lap time, then play follow the leader. With similar lap times, there's almost always a section where the slower guy is actually quicker, but that soon sorts itself out as the quicker car gets some more distance with each lap. The advantage for the slower guy is that he gets to go to school on the faster guy - as they point out in the video.

The bimmer is following because it's slower than the Audi (as both drivers attest). As far as the actual filming goes, they did a ton of filming, and spliced various pieces together so the viewer wouldn't be bored. Meaning as the lap progressed the M3 would fall further and further behind, and who wants to watch an Audi pass by the camera, and then sometime later, the bimmer.

There was one section (the uphill) where the M3 appeared to have an advantage, but everywhere else the Audi was quicker. They close the video by reiterating that the Audi is quicker. You think they're lying?

As a by the by, don't you think the guy following would've pulled up next to (or close) to the Audi on the uphill if he could have?

Sheesh. I can't believe I'm having to explain this to you. You being a guy on this site with actual firing neurons (that's a compliment) - as opposed to some other participants.
Appreciate 0