Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltigeur View Post
-

Good to see you back crunching #'s Swamp; I recall you doing so 5-6 years ago

If the design team can cut 120-130 kgs and get at least 420 hp and + 100 lb/ft it will be a very fun car. I'll be really shocked, though, if the production car can do much less than 4s (3.7 would be crazy).
Thanks. As you know I like the application of science to cars. Because the new 335i is probably about 100 lb lighter than the outgoing model 34XX is possible with some considerable expense. That being said the numbers suggested in the big +100 ft lb thread are basically inconsistent. You simply can not have 395 ft lb of torque, a reasonable shaped torque curve, a 7000 rpm redline and only 420 hp. Something has to give. My strong bet is the 420 hp figure (although to be fair that rumor thread said something like about the same power as the outgoing car).

IMHO 34XX lb and 420 hp is not enough of a bump in power to weight either in an absolute sense (from existing car) or from a relative sense (i.e. vs. competitors). Do recall that peak engine torque is almost meaningless especially compared to peak hp when talking about the performance of a car.

You must be somewhat interested in the new model yourself?

Edit: Just saw your other post about likely moving to a 911... Sounds like a plan! It is the natural path of progression for a BMW lover.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0