View Single Post
      01-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #253
car7
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
What's the benefit of calling it a 4 series?
What does it add to the car?
The only reason BMW is doing this is they saw how much more Audi were asking for the A5 over the A4
I'm saying you've been calling the 2 and 4 door 3 series a 3 series for 3 or 4 decades
It's been working great
Why fuck with a car all the manufacturers are trying to imitate?

And yes I do feel it shares too many parts with the 335
It's basically the same engine, but with some nice parts tacked on
With the 1m they used the 335is engine but stuck on a "powered by m" sticker on it, but claimed it was all fine tuned and specially made for the 1m etc

This is more of the same
They realized the M badge sells
So they're Whoring it out
Thing is, and I don't think they understand this (that's the problem when your marketing people overtake your engineers) that the M badge won't be worth so much if they continue to make cars like this

Am I willing to pay the same premium for an M3 when I know I can probably get the same car if I get a 335 and do a nice tune?
No
I was willing to pay a markup for the e92 M3 (twice) because I know how many parts were different. I was paying more for bespoke parts.
I'm not paying a markup just because it has an M badge

M stood for motorsports
Does it still mean the same for BMW?
The 4 series is going to be more different than the 3 series coupe was. Thats why they are changing the name. The 1m was not nearly under development as long as the new m4 will be. That was a car with parts from the current m3 and the n54 engine sure. But it got amazing critics. This will be a completly new car, a lot lighter and more innovative. Faster in every way then the e92 m3 (I own a e92 m3). You think the engine is the only thing different from the 335, you have no clue obviously. Why would the new M4 have less bespoke parts? We barely know anything about it. Stop feeling bitter about a car name and your life will be easier I promise.
Appreciate 0