02-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #29
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Yep a friend of a poster who owns a tire chain and tested them first hand. Butler Tire. Very well respected around Atlanta.

Where is the post you're speaking of that says they are not better?

Perhaps if there were not so many threads on the same exact subject (speculation with few facts....like this late comer) things would be easier to find, like the thread you posted in right before this link was posted.

http://www.thedrive.com/gear-up/7083...pilot-sport-4s

The Pilot Sport 4S is the replacement for the Pilot Super Sport, and if this is gonna be tl;dr, that is truly all you need to know about it. You can stop now, educated.

On the roads through Joshua Tree and around Palm Springs, I had about 30 minutes in a Ferrari California T and 30 minutes in a 2017 Audi R8. In both cases, at road speeds, the PS4S is indistinguishable from the PSS it replaces. The PS4S demonstrated excellent ride quality, albeit in two cars which I already know ride well. Road noise is minimal, and I honestly feel you would need very sensitive instrumentation to tell the difference from the PSS to the PS4S on your commuting roads.

BTW, if you read the list of swag that was given to everyone, no wonder the friend of a friend is hyping.

As Matt said

If you made it through those last paragraphs, you’re probably asking yourself, “How the hell is this dude, or anyone really, supposed to be objective about a potentially life-saving product when he’s apparently just in some sort of gifting suite marketed as a tire test?” #branding

I honestly don’t know, and that’s a shame. The product is better than that. The people who make the tires are better than that. So I’m going to do my very best to tell you what I think about these tires, and you can believe me, or not, but that’s the deal.

As for comparison

I wanted to try a set of Pilot Super Sports under the same conditions, but there were no Super Sports available to mount. In fact, aside from the “0.18 seconds per lap” comparison shown during the presentation, Michelin made very few public comparisons, and offered no opportunities for direct driving comparisons, to the Pilot Super Sport.

Strange.....except:

For those of us who want to know if the best sport tire on the market got better, the answer is yes, it did. When your Super Sports wear down, get a set of the PS4S, and you won’t be disappointed. They are the same price as the Super Sport, and they will be phased into production as the Super Sport is phased out, first in 19”, 20”, and 21” sizes this year, then 18” and 17” next year. The tires are good, you will like them, whether you’re a trackday nerd or a guy who just wants a good set of rubber on your performance car. But you do not need to prematurely toss your Super Sports to get them, because you probably won’t notice the difference unless you’re serious about the stopwatch, and then you probably just want Sport Cup 2’s.

And finally about your hyping friend....

Dinners, Champagne, gifting suites, Vice film crews, ride-alongs in Supercars with racing drivers, that’s sexy stuff that mindless “influencers” eat up and regurgitate #branding to their sheep. Watch what these people say about these tires, or any product really, with their #branded moon-boots on, and have a little chuckle to yourself.

Respect for Bulter Tires drops dramatically...BTW, I believe Matt called you sheep.

I'm having a chuckle with Matt.

Last edited by Kabrich; 02-08-2017 at 02:02 PM..
Appreciate 1
VeloF1318.00