Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 G83 comp & 2024 X5 M60

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffyduck View Post
I have a few specific questions to those who obviously have more insights (haven't read anything from them on this thread so far):
  1. When is the exact point of time where F80 are going to be product with the steel driveshaft? (the words "November" and "gradually" are not really precise, here)
  2. When is the exact point of time where this emissions addon is going to be built in? ("a later point in time" is even worse!!)
  3. Does the driveshaft affect performance or responsivness of the engine?
  4. Does the emmissions addon affect sound?
  5. Last but not least (less important, since it's just out of curiosity): What's the real reason BMW is doing this to a car that's half a year from EOP? Or does "gradually" mean that the F80 is secretly gonna be left out of all this?

Please PLEASE give us some hints on these questions!!
Hopefully some others can assist amid all the hand wringing and tears and wailing going on.

With respect to the " November and gradually "

These terms are being used specifically in order to be vague. There have been 68,000 vehicles made.. I would assume that BMW either has a production limitation... perhaps say they only contracted for 75,000 of these parts or perhaps their vendor has declined to produce more for them. This isn't any different than switching brand of tie rod during production. Running changes are made all the time.

They know that the end of the stock is coming and will end approximately in November. There aren't going to spec a particular date or week as fanatics will already be getting dodgy about what production month their vehicle is made.

Some will want to get a pre 11/17 car and others may actually prefer to get a car with the new driveshaft.. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
I'm surprised no one has brought this up yet, but...

Maybe it's because the CFDS was so light and rigid , thats what was causing the jerky throttle starts.

I know in mine, it happens very easily, and once it starts , you have to completely back off the throttle until it stops. Mine is a DCT BTW, and happens in all throttle mappings under the right conditions.
I very much agree that a natural harmonic like this may be EXACTLY the issue that BMW is concerned about.

Another person indicated EXTREME heat. It's very possible that they have determined that the environment under a vehicle is such that it DEGRADES the CFDS over time, causing issues with longevity.

Indeed this could also simply be a cost cutting measure , however I really don't think so.

Will the steel driveshaft offer less PERFORMANCE than the CFDS version ?

Minimally. About the same loss in performance for M mirrors. If you have a car on order, it shouldn't change your mind on purchase.

Finally , another person mentioned that FORD has done the same thing with one of their vehicles. I'm betting that the " bling " doesn't really offer a cost vs performance benefit and may actually have a negative for the owner over time in some fashion ( higher failure rate etc )
How many people that have a pre 11/17 F8x who get into a new lease for a MY18+ after this date will switch out the drive shafts before returning the off lease car? I can see this happening with F82&F83 owners if the labor isn't that much to swap out as EOP isn't until 2020. Next BMW FS end of lease inspections will include checking the drive shaft.
CLEANM416.00