View Single Post
      11-09-2011, 01:23 AM   #39
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Guys, I think you have to stop focusing on the sound and how it "does not sound as good as the s65." I think everyone knows nothing going forward is going to sound as good as a high-revving V8 engine so focusing on sound is pointless. If you were expecting something different than you were dreaming because just listen to the m5, it sounds good but nothing like its predecessor or the m3 type sound. The m3 will sound similar to the m5 and you need to just accept that and get excited about the other parts of the car that WILL be improved.

I personally am excited for a new super high tech turbo engine which I know bmw will continue to improve and create a great flat torque curve which would not surprise me if it is as flat as the S65 only with twice the torque. Given the redline of the m5 at 7200 I believe, I personally think the m3 will be at 7500 redline which really is pretty darn good for any engine, let alone a turbo.

For those hating to see the NA high revving engine go, it is simple, just keep your m3 or pick up a used m5/m6 or m3 and keep it for a weekend car or as a car to drive once and awhile. Atleast that is my plan. My m3 s85 is not going anywhere and that would be a stupid move IMO to get rid of the last high revving v8 ever produced by almost any car company. Not for collectibility but for shear enjoyability because although I am excited for new tech, I will inevitibly always enjoy some variety and the scream of 8400 RPMS with that sound is something that will always be simply intoxicating.
Appreciate 0