SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
I just timed it last night. After turning off the engine, I had the radio on. Both the front ash tray lighter socket and the socket under the glove compartment shut off after 12 minutes. Maybe there is a difference between the '17 and '16 models? Mine is MY2016 F80.
Ok, I also went out again just now to test this, since these things should be consistent and not illogical!

For the first test, I sat in the car, turned on the ignition, then turned it off again, and then without getting out, I locked the door by pressing the lock button on the remote, and set a timer. At 5 minutes the lights on my USB adapters were still on and I gave up, unlocked the car, got out, and locked it.

For the second test, I unlocked the car, turned on the ignition, turned it off, exited and locked the car, and set a timer. I stood outside the car by the left rear window which allowed me to see both the USB adapter plugged into the ashtray and the one plugged into the rear console (back seat). The dash light went out around 18 seconds. At around 3 minutes both lights on the USB adapters went out, so I may have remembered the time period incorrectly from when I first tested this and it was 3 minutes, not 2 minutes. The whole point of my initial test was to determine whether the 12V sockets shut off or not.

For the third test, I did the same thing as test #2, but instead of locking the car I left it unlocked. At 5 minutes the lights on the USB adapters were still on, so I gave up and locked the car. I went in the house and came out about 5 minutes later and the lights were out.

Conclusions: If you turn off the ignition, exit the car and lock it, the 12V sockets shut off around 3 minutes. If you don't lock the car, the 12V sockets remain powered for at least 5 minutes.

Appreciate 0