05-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #326
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holander View Post
Bmw will never but V6 engine on M- model. There is no reason.

There is talk that N55 hasn´t capacity to rev 8000rpm, it has, if they machined bigger crankshaft- and rodbearings, better flowing cylinder head, bigger valves and optimase vibration damber to handle revs. Like they heavily modified M54 engine to S54.

The only thing clear to me is that all new BMW AG and M GmbH engines will build on the modular platform of the B.8 engine family !!!

The first engine of this family is the B38 3-cylinder, which pretends the technical principles / conditions for all new engines. According to the last interview of the Dr.Nitschke this B38 is able to achieve performance up to 300 + hp ... what does mean, that an composite 6 cylinder of 2 B38 as Levi quotes, could easily achieve 600 + hp ... and this in both V6 and I6 form, from which the V6 for a sports car would of course bringing packaging benefits while allowing further the use of the revolutionary BiTurbo system of S63Tü.

And ultimately a F80 with a V6 would certainly most easily de-raised doubts over on the uniqueness of the M3 engine. Nevertheless, this 3.0ltr.V6 BiTurbo would fit easily in the new common parts engine kit / platform from BMW. And an V6 is in every way an better base to combine high revs with high pressure turbos ... the S54 is there no real criterion, since it is no turbo engine and thus a significant and non-negligible load characteristic is absent ... a more compact crankshaft-moderately build engine withstand the high loads better or more easily.

Greets Uli_HH

Last edited by Uli_HH; 05-15-2013 at 06:53 AM..
Appreciate 0