02-28-2013, 10:03 AM   #125
ATSR
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1977 Honda Civic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
Guys, I think it is just wrong to compare new and used. You can compare that for you personal choice - do I get this car new or that car used? - but you can't use that as a factor for determining price of new car. 80K seams overpiced to you, but don't compare that with what you can get used, compare it with other new alternatives. At the end the price is, comparatively only, justified.

I might be the one spending 80K for "just" and M4. But that is the only BMW I would buy, an M car. Everything below is "too expensive". Think of a crap 420d that will cost 50K. WTF? For 80K you'd get a Porsche? If I don't have the money to get a Porsche Exclusive, I'm not buying a Porsche. You can't just compare prices of two cars, you have to compare prices of the cars configured as you want them. Then you can see the difference and which is worth.
I honestly don't see why you wouldn't compare new vs used. Yes, when you buy new you can configure the car exactly as you want, but I'm 100% sure that at that market level I would be able to find something that matches what I want perfectly as well.

For $80K the vast majority of the 997.2 Carreras are certified pre-owned, which extends the warranty to 6 yrs or 100K miles, and for any other you can buy a 3rd party warranty for about $4k if you want to sleep better every night. If you don't have $4k to buy a warranty, you shouldn't be buying an $80K car.

Even though I don't agree with you, I appreciate the fact that, like you, there are a lot of people (my dad included) that are willing to pay the premium to have the satisfaction of buying new. Thanks to this, people like me can keep finding awesome used cars.
Appreciate 0