10-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #438
Uli_HH
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90)/ 523i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I am not with you, all M3's since E30 used the base engine from an existing parts bin, and were developed into a special M3 engine. This hasn't changed for F80/2.

Sure E92 had a more special engine, but that was helped by the fact that the M3 GTR had a tuned version of this engine for racing, and it existed in V10 format already. Easy to lop off 2 cylinders. If the S65 didn't have such a short stroke (poor for turbocharging) they could again lop off another 2 cylinders to make V6 Turbo.

As for more options turbo charging a V engine, that is rubbish, an inline engine is much easier to plumb.
SORRY ... I will not start a new debate about the "uniqueness" of M engines ... but this is really an problem of definition !

Until today all M3 engines only share the general engine block design with their AG counterparts on which they were based. Really all other parts are unique and specialy developed for M tasks ... in most cases the displacement was higher and even the material of the block in some cases was different. The main reason for this change in simple ... it was the only way to get the needed M Power out of the N/A engines ... this is for me what I define as "unique and special developed" M engine !!!

In the case of the engine F8x I am relativ shure that would be not the case ... many if not most of the parts which would be new in the "heavily modified" S55(?) we would see short time later in the N55 sucessor - named N55Tü or N5(?) ... simply because cost-reduction be many common parts is the new credo of the BMW AG - also for the special, low-production and high-priced M cars ... best example is the N63, were most of the new developed parts for the S63Tü come in AG form as the new N63Tü .... sorry, but this is for me what I not define as "unique and special developed" and therefor an for me not M-worthy engine !!!

AND its simply not true that an inline engine is the best choise for an turbo engine ... according to all experts and car journalists the best turbo engine developed until today (in terms of the main turbo problem - lag) is the S63Tü ... and this turbosystem could never be adopted to an inline engine.

Last edited by Uli_HH; 10-03-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Appreciate 0