View Single Post
      10-05-2012, 06:00 PM   #169
US///M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 1973 Jensen Interceptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo View Post
This is not the whole truth and it is misleading. You obviously have no real idea of what 1M is capable of. At least, if you check reliable dyno charts of both cars and listen to people who actually own both you will see that from idle to around 6200 rpm a stock 1M not only produces more torque but also more hp than a stock E9X M3. This fact combined with its lower weight results in a noticeably quicker car in every condition other than a drag race on a very long straight, where the M3 will catch and pass but only after 1Ms third gear ends which is around 180 km/h, not before. After that point M3 pulls away slowly due to higher top end power and better aeordynamics.

So in order to own a 1M the M3 has to be in a very high rpm point while the 1M should be either very low down or too high up. Only a moron would drive the 1M like that.

And we are not even talking about in-gear acceleration which is imo more important than any other performance category unless you reside around Autobahn. There, we can't even make a comparison, whole different level.

I would say it is the opposite of what you say; the 1M has to be in a wrong gear, a very wrong one to stay behind a M3 (which in turn has to stay over 6500, even 7000 rpm all the time in order to have some advantage), I mean anywhere but on a track with long straights and German highways.

And before you flame me, I love the M3, E46 more than E92 yes but E92 too. And the engine is wonderful as long as you know what it is and what it is not.

The new M3 will not be following solely the high revving NA tradition of past and actual M3s, it will also further what some new cars like the 1M brought on the sports car scene and that is not a bad thing...as long as they do it right, if they keep the sports car feel, for this I would be more suspicious about the size and luxury of next M3 than its turbo engine. I can even speculate that the limited edition short lived and controversial 1M story is all about giving us a pre-production test case for the following M cars. An experiment if I could call it like that. If next M3 will be a better 1M in essence it will be a very good car indeed.
You mean what the 335i brought on the sports car scene with the N54. I think people who are into Evos, STI's,135's dont understand what the fuss is all about. Hahaha
People who like the intake growl of a NA with individual throttle bodies,high revving V8,instant and quick throttle response dont want your 135i reworked engine.
I bet you the majority of the new engine proponent never owned a high revvin NA V8,they think their 135i engine is the nec plus ultra.
Appreciate 0