View Single Post
      05-20-2012, 01:22 AM   #12
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
Last time I checked cylinder configuration literally has nothing to do with the amount of power produced.
Yes I had never read that either. Well I have read that upright inline configurations are conducive to higher torque and flat engine are conducive to higher RPM, but I've definitely never read anything that would imply that I6 engines have less performance potential to V6 engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerjph View Post
And really the only reason that other manufacturers have switched to V-6's are because they are more compact and cheaper to make. Not because the perform better.
Exactly. V6s are easier to fit into the engine bays of cars that would otherwise have I4 or V8 engines. The I6 is impossible to fit in pretty much any car with a transverse layout, so that right there prohibits the I6 from being used in the majority of passenger cars. It's also ~1/3 longer than a V8, so an annoyance for engineers to fit even into bigger engine bays. But the V6 is a compromise engine with inferior mechanical characteristics, so BMW has used the I6. Mercedes used to too, and now the news is that they're bringing them back.

BMW has said that that a V6 for the new M3/4 is a good compromise because (1) smoothness isn't as important in the performance model and (2) it contributes to a better weight balance. But I think that point one is just wrong it is important and point 2 is a false dichotomy: if they want to improve weight balance, they could also lighten other things at the front of the car besides the engine.
Appreciate 0