United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Since I neglected to address this in my post above -

I will certainly agree that the V8 models are there partly for prestige, but lets not forget that they are also there because the competition offers similar vehicles at a given performance level so you have to do what you need to to keep up.

But just as important here, lets not ignore the fact that a degree exclusivity for the M products effects their engineering just as prestige does for the higher end luxury products.

Regarding production cost, we will soon see if you are correct, perhaps. If the new M I6 is going to save a heap of money on that front well then why shouldn't it propagate throughout the lineup, replacing the N63tu? Prestige? Let's look at the diesel engines for a moment. Notice that (after it went on hiatus for a time) BMW has effectively replaced the V8 diesel formerly in the 7 series with the new N57S tri-turbo I6 (incidentally, also an M-developed motor). Mercedes and Audi still use a V8 in this class. Who needs prestige when you can match the competitors' performance with a pumped of version of the same engine you use in the lowly 330i (with, you guessed it, a different induction system, of course)?
Someone should really suggest to them to go the direct of dual/hybrid inject ala FT86/FRS/etc. Carbon caking seems to be a big issue!
Appreciate 0