08-13-2014, 02:09 PM   #13
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It seems to me that the thought here is that any inaccuracies in regards to potential double corrections is regarded as noise when correlating to other data sources as real life trap speed, vbox dyno data and MAHA dyno results. Doesn't seem perfectly scientific in isolation but combining sources for correlation has merits in finding noise and close in on real numbers as well.
Could very well be, but SAE corrections has been proven to be a quite big factor (in one instance for example 40hp). A correction factor of say 40hp for a given atmospheric condition is a lot of noise...

Trap speeds of 114-119MPH (so far) indicates anywhere from 424 to 480hp in a 3528lbs vehicle. And that's before considering that trap speed calculations are based on engines without a plateau power curve, which gives a substantially higher average hp in each gear than the traditional engines trap speed calculators are calibrated for. Just try to put the M550d in a trap speed calculator and you will find that the trap speed indicates a 100hp under stating from BMW.

I'm not saying that I have the final answer or know all the answers. But I am quite certain that the trap speeds we have seen so far really doesn't indicate a under stating from BMW (or at least not more than the 5% margin they are allowed by EU regulations).

It's also interesting how the OP is critical of the shortcomings of the Insoric and dismisses the results that gave (which didn't fit in with the OP's other "findings"), but seems to forget the shortcomings of dyno's and the inaccuracies shown again and again on dynos... The OP accused the other "author" (swamp2) of just using data that fit in with his views, seems to me there was a bit of that going on here instead
Appreciate 0